Friday 14 October 2016

Music Magazines Analysis

In this task, I was asked to choose a couple front covers, contents pages and double-page spreads from music magazines. I then had to analyse their layout and see if they meet the standard codes and conventions for their genre.
This is a rock magazine cover from a magazine called "Kerrang!". I chose this because it stands out to the reader. I believe that this magazine works due to its ability to draw in the reader with the looks of the men on the cover. It has a type of atmosphere where you can't help but be drawn into.
This is a magazine called "Classical Music" obviously about classical music. I chose it for its calm atmosphere. This works as the calm nature is perfectly suited with the classical genre.

This is "Country Weekly". The genre it focuses on is country and I chose it for its inviting nature. It works because it has an upbeat and friendly atmosphere about it along with being calm.

This is a contents page from a rock magazine. It is laid out in a seemingly convoluted but actually simple and easy to read which is why I see this as a good choice for a contents page.

This is the contents page from a classical music magazine. I chose this for its unique red background which I believe helps it stand out in comparison to other contents pages. Unfortunately, the text was in another language meaning I couldn't analyse much about the text.

This is a double-page spread from a rock music magazine. I chose it due to it being an interesting example as one page is just as picture and the opposite page is all text with just a bit of an overlap.

This is a double-page spread from a classical music magazine. I chose this because it evokes a calm feeling from it, fitting for the genre, and it is a perfect contrast to the previous double-page spread as it balances the picture and text more effectively.



3 comments:

  1. need to try and include as much media language for example instead of using atmoshpere calm you could talk about the mode of address or the misen scene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need to separate some of these out into new posts David as they are confusing, I will discuss with you in lessons tomorrow.
    Mrs McD-H

    ReplyDelete
  3. God analysis of your found magazines with clear intent on purpose but maybe extend using mis en scene and codes and conventions. I will check on Thursday again to see improvements.
    Mrs McD-H

    ReplyDelete